If you were thinking about using WhatsApp on your home computer or laptop you will need WhatsApp Web. This article is designed to show you just how to use WhatsApp Web.
A little about WhatsApp
WhatsApp is web-based. This means that there is no software to download to your computer. WhatsApp works on Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera, but does not work on Internet Explorer. This may be a drawback for people who choose Internet Explorer over other web browsers.
Using WhatsApp Web on Laptop, Mac, PC, or Desktop
You will need your mobile phone for this to work on your computer, specifically a phone with the Android software. WhatsApp does not work on iphones, not yet anyway. You may use Blackberries or Windows phones. WhatsApp displays messages and conversations from your phone onto your computer. It is essentially a messenger for your computer. If you follow these steps you should have no problem getting WhatsApp working on your home computer or laptop.
Download whatsApp to your phone
You will need to download WhatsApp on your phone to continue with the next steps. You must have WhatsApp v2.11.498 or a higher version.
Download Chrome, Opera, or Firefly to your computer
These are the only browsers that WhatsApp will let you use. Go ahead and download one of these three browsers.
Go to WhatsApp.com
On your chosen browser type in https://Web.whatsapp.com/ into the web address.
Scan QR code with your phone
After you go to the web address you will see a QR code on the screen. You will be asked to scan a QR code with your phone.
How to scan QR code
Different phones will have different instructions.
- For the Nokia S 40 you must go to WhatsApp and swipe up from the bottom of your screen. Then you will click on WhatsApp Web.
- To do this with the BlackBerry you must open WhatsApp and then click on chats. After that, click Menu key, and then click on WhatsApp Web.
- With the BlackBerry 10 you must open WhatsApp and swipe down from the top of your screen. Then you click on WhatsApp Web.
Finally, if you are using an Android, windows phone, or a Nokia, open WhatsApp. Click on Menu and then click on WhatsApp Web.
You will need your phones camera to scan the QR code. Simply point your camera at the code and click on “OK GOT IT”. The scanning will start after this.
Use your computer to send a text message.
After you have scanned the QR code you will see the WhatsApp Interface on your browser. With your phone, send a text message to someone to see if the app is working.
Reasons for using this App on PC
It is much easier to type on an actual keyboard rather than a cell phone.
Your personal computer has much more space and processing power than your phone does. It will be a lot quicker to load and send things like pictures and videos. Faster would be more convenient.
You’re going to have a storage limit to worry about when using a cell phone. A personal computer would solve that problem and make things easier.
- The WhatsApp messenger on your phone is the same as on your computer.
- This may use a lot of data on both devices, because they will be running at the same time. You could connect to WI-FI if available.
- Emoji are not on the actual keyboard. You would have to do that manually.
- You cannot change your profile status or picture from your personal computer. Also you cannot block users from your personal computer.
- WhatsApp Web will not let you leave a group chat or start a new chat.
It may not be a good idea to use WhatsApp on a public computer. If you do decide to use a public computer remember to log out before you leave. You can always log yourself out from your phone if you do forget. You can check with the browser you are connected to and disable it.
WhatsApp Web is convenient for people who would rather use a full keyboard and is totally free for anyone. Go check out WhatsApp Web.